Chapter Three: Part One [The Recording of the Sunnah]
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
الفصل الأول: كتب المسانيد
Part one: The books of Masaneed
Definition of Al-musnad
In the Arabic language: Raising something off the ground and placing it on top.
To the scholars of hadeeth it has two meanings:
- It is the hadeeth that is complete. Meaning all the narrators have heard from each other all the way to Prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him).
- The books of Al-masaneed: The books that gather all the ahadeeth according to the names of the Companions. Each Companion would have all the ahadeeth that he narrated from the Prophet (Peace be upon him).
The three famous methods the scholars used to organize the names:
1) Alphabetical order starting with the first letter “ أ “
أبي بن كعب
أسامة بن زيد
أنس بن مالك
2) According to the tribes. They would start from Bany Hashim [The prophets tribe] then the closer and closer to the prophet (peace be upon him) and so on.
3) According to the first to enter Islam and their ranks in Islam.
They would start with the ten that were promised Paradise [Abu Baker, Omar, Uthaman, Ali …). then the companions of the Battle of Bader then the Companions of the treaty and so on.
This last method was beloved to the scholars as Al-Khateeb Albagdady said:
This method is beloved to us when publishing Al-masaneed.”
An example of a book the was published using this method:
- Musnaad Al-Imam Ahmad Bin Hanbal